Monday, March 10, 2014

I'm Back

Thank you everyone for continuing to read my posts during my absence.  As promised, I'm back.

Here we go.....

Friday, March 7th, 2014 dawned sunny and not so frigid, for a welcome change.  I knew it would be a special day the minute my eyes flew open.  The workday morning raced by, pretty much the way it usually does.

A little before 3 pm, the call I've been waiting for finally lit up the caller ID on my desk phone.  With trembling hands, a catch in my throat and butterflies in my stomach, I managed to say, "Hello, this is Rosemarie" (my work/real name).  The person at the other end asked how I was - I managed to say that would depend on what message was about to be delivered.

This call was about to transform my life yet one more time since September 17, 2013.  For those of you who only know me through this blog, you may not know that on that horrific Tuesday, Tom, my husband of nearly my whole life, my soul mate and beloved captain of the ship we call life, passed away suddenly and unexpectedly at 10:05 am.  This is not the platform to discuss this tragic event in my life, but suffice it to say, my entire world as I knew it came to a crashing, heartbreaking end.

The following weeks passed in a blur of attorney and financial planner meetings, decisions to make, documents to sign and a house to dismantle.  If you recall, Tom and I had sold our home and were anticipating a closing on November 8th.  With the help of dear friends, I got the house emptied, contents packed/disposed of - including close to 900 hardcover books - and moved out of the now silent house and into a nice apartment town home.  I know popular advice is not to do anything the first year after a loss, but this was not the time to wait.

While I was trying to make sense of my new circumstances without my life's partner, I had a monumental decision to make - alone: to continue building our dream boat, KKY 55-005, or make alternate plans for the boat.  At this point, I felt as if my heart was being ripped apart one more time.

They say it takes a village to help make dreams come true; my situation was no different.  In my case, the village was populated by those who have guided Tom and I in many of our ventures, and by those who truly care.  From October to January, I wrestled with this huge decision until one evening when I was looking through my 55' paperwork, a little yellow sheet of paper fluttered out of one of the files.  The sheet was filled with figures in Tom's handwriting - figures relating to our purchase of the boat.
That was it!  Tom helped me reach a decision there and then.  With all that was in my power, I decided to try to continue on with the building of the 55' and take delivery - maybe a bit later than planned, but try to take delivery nonetheless.

Fast forward to Friday, March 7th - the call I was waiting for came from the underwriter who had just secured my financing approval to move forward with the boat purchase.


                                                                       

KKY -55-005 is mine!

2 comments:

  1. God bless you and 55-005. Fair winds and following seas.

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind Frank. Thank you for your good wishes. It's great to back in the Krogen family again.

      Delete