Sunday, November 2, 2014


Taking a break from packing - a week from tomorrow is the big day.  Though I'm trying not to panic as I look around, I feel the stirrings of panic beginning to make themselves known.  It's hard to just pack, given my crazy schedule.   Last night I went into the city with 8 other members of my bereavement group.  I have to tell you with a touch of chagrin, that we did not look bereaved as we danced into the small hours.  Before I say too much, let's get on with the pictures.  I hear you.

We're going to get technical tonight with pictures of the helm and one (just one for now) of the engine room.  The helm truly was the epitome of "it takes a village".  I said that before about another of my undertakings in getting this boat built.  Helm discussions began when Serenity had recently sold in Stuart in June, 2013.  The vendor came aboard to see our helm and used that as a "jumping off" place.  Good thing, because in the absence of my beloved Tom, those were not easy decisions.  I may be a lot of things, but savvy about navigation, etc. just isn't one of them.  Once the navigation suite was selected (that wasn't too hard since I knew Garmin was the way I was going), then all the other questions began to pop up.  Decisions were made along the way and finalized during a 3 hour marathon meeting when I was in Stuart during late August.  During the Rendezvous, the vendor sent several mock-ups of the helm, using instrument decals as models.  Imagine trying to decide on gauges, monitors,  and other things that weren't very easy to see by looking at a cellphone display!  That wasn't happening, so I bargained for time by arranging to be aboard Olympia to make those important decisions.

I think things turned out pretty well.  Comforting to know that if I decide to re-locate certain things, it won't be the end of the world.  A new piece of cherry can be installed and the new cutouts made.
Since I'm in no way in need of every bell and whistle offered, I went with the best my budget would allow and am starting with what I need to navigate safely and intelligently.

So, here goes...

I kept the 15" screens Tom wanted.  They got the job done very nicely on Serenity.  I added dedicated wind direction/speed and depth gauges so they would be in my line of sight at all times.  Below those gauges and closest to my right hand is the auto pilot, essential on long voyages  I got a remote for it as well, a creature comfort to be sure.  There is one VHF radio with remote mike (to the right and a bit below the wheel) and another radio mounted in the aft salon cabinet.  This radio has a wireless mike that can be taken with me when not in the pilot house. This way I can listen to the radio when I'm anywhere on the boat and respond without having to dash up the stairs.  There is a Fusion stereo radio beneath the VHF and the stabilizer monitor below that.


These are the John Deere gauges - one set for each engine.  I'm very comfortable looking at those gauges, it is the one area I don't need to learn from the bottom up.  The rudder angle indicator is to the left of the gauges, the wiper controls beneath that and the horn pad to the left of everything.  I never imagined there could be so many functions for a mere horn.

A closer look at some instruments...



This is a closer look at the horn pad I mentioned.  How many buttons does it take to blow a horn???  Even the wipers have to get in on the party and get complicated!



Stabilizer controls - those little green buttons have a life of their own.  This control I will learn to use in record time.  It doesn't take much to bring on that cold sweat on my upper lip (remember the story of For Us's sea trial in NC)?

The electrical panels are so easy to read on this boat!  On Serenity, I had to go up the steps to the pilot house, sit on the top step and peer into the cabinet - with the help of a flashlight.


They're even nice to look at!


Self-explanatory....

All of these panels are located in the companionway, to port just before the door to the guest head.  They're at eye level for the most part, but at 5'6", I have no trouble seeing the top switches.  They're behind smoked glass doors, so completely unobtrusive, yet easily seen when necessary.

This is the one engine room (for this post at least) I promised you...


Here I am surrounded by my sweet engines - and other things still foreign to me!   I did hear those engines run during my visit.  Gave me goosebumps!


One more picture of the cable in the cockpit...


I love the fact that everything is located in one area of the cockpit to starboard.  The rest of the cockpit is sleek and clean.  Great thinking and design!

Well, that's it folks.  I rolled in early this morning at 2 am, so need to try to make up a little bit of sleep.  It's 11:40, so not likely.  More packing tomorrow, but will try to get some engine room pictures up this week.

Have a great week!





















































































No comments:

Post a Comment