Saturday, August 17, 2013

Wow, what a time it's been!

Somehow, it's been 3 weeks since my last post - 3 incredibly hectic weeks!  If things keep going at this pace, I'm going to combust before the boat is delivered!

Where to begin?  OK, I was crazy enough to pry 5 days out of my schedule to visit my sister in Wake Forest, North Carolina 8/7 through 8/12.  Good thing I did, cause I got to do the "r" word, relax.  Not part of my vocabulary, but I managed to learn that word quickly and happily.  Had a great visit!

Getting back was like being shot out of a cannon!  The would-be buyers of our home signed the contract the day I left and were anxiously awaiting my return so I could sign.  So there you have it!  A signed contract with a close date on or about October 30th.  Not knowing where to jump first, my daughter and I went to see the apartment complex we had selected and to our relief, they will have a one bedroom with loft/deck townhouse apartment available on October 11th.  We signed a 10 month lease and are ready to go.  Not so fast, there are no less than a billion things to do to get ready for that move.  Since we've been in our house nearly 28 years, I'm shaking at the thought of parting with so many things.  But, we need to downsize for the apartment, then yet again for the boat, so the sooner the better.  I have a list of things 10 miles long to accomplish in less than 60 days while working full-time, visiting Tucker, taking care of my horse, playing golf on my league and building a boat.  Just your average "to do" list, I guess.  LOL

Okay, great, on to the boat, you must be saying.  Sooooo, the big news is that the boat is in the mold and lamination has begun.  Please don't ask for details, cause there are none at the moment.  One of KKY's principals is going to the yard in Taiwan next week so there WILL BE PICTURES! Yes, I will share.

Remember how I was so happy with my faucet choices last post?  Well, it was back to the drawing board for the 2 head faucets.  The one I selected was prohibitively expensive, so without involving the captain, I did go back to the websites I had prowled for so long.  I actually used my time with my sister to devote my undivided attention for the 100th time to faucets.  After only 30 minutes, I selected a lovely centerset from Delta.  The handles were described as being "evocative of a wave".  Good enough for me.  High arc faucet, chrome finish - perfect.  Price was right too!

On Thursday, we had a conference call with KKY.  The week before, our first set of joinery drawings arrived, the basis of the call.  Since I was away, I had to devote a precious after work session to poring over the drawings and formulating questions for the conference call.  After 90 minutes of non-stop discussions about everything, room by room, I literally had to get off the call.  I was lightheaded from all the things we discussed, decided and approved.   We started in the master SR and moved forward, hinge by hinge, drawer by drawer.  I'll tell you one thing, the KKY folks are really sincere when they say they want their customers to be deleriously happy with their boat.  We discussed placement of shelves in cabinets, depths of cabinets, places for shoes, places for golf clubs, location for a litter box, width of doorways,  and a dizzying array of things I never knew needed to be thought about.  Though it's great fun, building a boat from scratch is an awesome undertaking.  I can't imagine taking this on without the daily guidance and hand holding of the KKY staff.  Not one question goes unanswered - and on the same day.  If I didn't know better,  I would swear 55005 was the only boat KKY was building.

The conference call was very productive.  Another set of joinery drawings will be arriving in about 2 weeks, incorporating our suggestions made during the conference call.  Close on the heels of the joinery drawings will be the electrical drawings.  I don't know how much input I'll have here, but I've been told that there is no such thing as too many light switches.  I'll think about that when the time comes.  Right now, I'm up to my ears in too many other details.

Next things to consider will be the granite, where to put it, how to finish the edges; where to put wall sconces to replace the standard chrome reading lights I hate, what shades to select (size and style), window coverings - I've already tip-toed into this pit of vipers.  Holy cow, do you have ANY idea how MANY choices there are for window treatments?

  The captain and I are leaning towards wooden blinds, with 2" slats in a cherry wood.  KKY is working with us on building the blinds into the window frame for a more custom look.  Even the blind conversation with a manufacturer was mind-blowing.  Holes or no holes?  Decorative or plain tapes?  Real wood or faux wood?  1" or 2"?  Can't anything be simple????  The person I spoke to is sending me several samples in several different finishes with and without holes, along with a few different decorative tapes.  I went so far as to call the folks in Stuart who did the salon window treatments on For Us and the privacy inserts for both boats.  If you think I'm pretty determined to get these blinds, you're right.  I went on the websites of every trawler manufacturer and looked at the salons of all their boats.  Hands down, I was drawn to the wooden blinds.  Nice to be confident with at least one major decision!

Again, lots of words to read without a break with pictures.  Forgive me, but I couldn't let another week go by without an update.  The one name Tom and I thought we liked is out of the running.  After living with it for a bit, we decided against it, so we're back to the drawing board.

Names my friends, NAMES!  Any and all suggestions will be very much welcomed!  You have a couple of weeks to think.  There probably won't be anything to report until the KKY folks return from Taiwan.  Hopefully, our patience will be rewarded with pictures of the infant boat.

Thanks for hanging in there with me during the dry spells.  More fun to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment