Monday, April 13, 2015

Homeward Bound!

Well dear friends and loyal readers, I've said it before and I'll say it now - dreams do come true.

Once my flight lands in BWI tomorrow morning at the civilized hour of  7:15 am, Larry from KKY will be taking me to Port Annapolis where I'll be reunited with my beloved Olympia for the ride home to New York!  As happens with boats, the rendezvous point changed from Norfolk to Annapolis due to favorable weather, superb navigational skills of the delivery crew, my flight plans and plain luck.

The last time I was aboard the subject of my dreams was February 3rd - far too long a span of time to be separated from her!  I'm sure I surprise no one when I say I'm delirious with anticipation, excitement, apprehension, joy, tumult, love - get the picture of me at this moment?

Yesterday, I took advantage of a glorious day to take my convertible (with the top down of course) to the ocean.  I communicate best with Tom near the sea, since that is where his first love of all things boats originated.  Against the roar of the surf, I thanked Tom for all he gave me and for where I am today, anticipating this next huge adventure of what is proving to be an unconventional lifestyle.  I whispered to him that though my heart is broken that he won't be physically present at the helm with me, I am heartened by the knowledge that his spirit resides in every inch of Olympia and how that makes her the most special boat I will ever own.

So many things in life are bittersweet, but none more than this upcoming adventure for me.  It was a year ago this month that I was poring over every picture I received from Taiwan as the building of Olympia resumed.  Now I'm about to take her helm and pilot her home where she will be loved, nurtured, enjoyed and the site of many, many happy and joyous occasions.

I didn't forget the christening pictures, but the next set of pictures you get will be scenes from the trip home. I'm sincerely hoping for clear skies as we cruise under the Verrazano Bridge and past the Statue of Liberty; however, there WILL be pictures of those landmarks regardless of what Mother Nature has in store for us.

So friends, I hope you'll join me for this most anticipated next adventure, the realization of more dreams and the beginning of a new phase of life.

All aboard!

1 comment: