Sunday, March 20, 2011

Almost (but not quite) Done!

Hi everyone!
At this point, I feel as if I'm writing to friends.  Thank you all who take the time to read this blog, comment and join as followers.  It's a thrill to log on and find a new comment and/or follower.  At first I thought blogging was a bit narcissistic, but I've come to realize from feedback that people enjoy reading and writing  about what they love.  It's no secret that Tom and I love, love, love Serenity and since I've become the designated spokesperson, I'm doing the telling.  Hope you continue to enjoy my posts.

As I write this, Tom and I are counting down the days until we're once again aboard the object of our hearts' desire.  On Wednesday, March 23rd around noon, we'll be climbing aboard Serenity for the first time since January 14th!  This time she'll actually be in the water and feel like a real boat!  I'm assured by all those who have been aboard that she is indeed, a very real boat.  Serenity played hostess at a KKY Open House 2 weeks ago - I understand she was much admired and fawned over.  When Tom and I read this reports, we smile like indulgent parents (which BTW we are)!

For those of you who are closely following this commissioning process, you will note the addition of the ladder on the starboard side.


Though this boat now has (beautifully) molded steps up to the flybridge, the captain wanted immediate access.


You have to understand why I love the new molded steps as an alternative to the ladder.  That's cause it's always me who goes up and down the ladder countless times during a cruise.  You see, the captain has needs he never anticipates until we're underway.....water, energy bar, sunscreen, reading glasses, snacks, etc.  Those needs arise AFTER I've already made several trips up and down the ladder BEFORE even leaving the dock.  Since we always ran our boat from the flybridge, that is where things needed to get to.  Picture this:  in order to safely navigate, one needs charts, so up the ladder I go with a huge chart under one arm while I climb the ladder holding onto one rail.  One needs to see distances, so up I go again with the binoculars around my neck, sunglasses for both of us under one arm - and again I shimmy up holding onto one rail.  Oh, oh, where's the autopilot? the captain impatiently asks.  Oops, down I go for the autopilot (luckily it can be hung around my neck) so I have a free hand to bring up a bottle of water with a cooler cozy stuck in my teeth.  Hopefully the addition of this creature comfort to the flybridge's summer kitchen will end that issue!
I'm picturing this frig stocked with water, soda and whatever else will keep me on the flybridge and not in the galley while underway!  BTW, the frig sits in a cabinet that is holding a BBQ grill (under the canvas cover).  Luckily the captain loves to grill.
Now we can enjoy a nice, relaxing day on the water.  I'm sure you understand my love affair with our new molded steps.  Who would have thought molded steps could bring such ecstasy?

Speaking of ecstasy, wait until you take a look at our brightwork (cap strip/rail).  Though some KKY owners elect to paint their brightwork (it saves hours of cleaning, wiping and polishing, not to mention  huge amounts of dollars on upkeep), there is nothing more beautiful and traditional than softly gleaming teak brightwork.  Teak captures the sun's rays like no other wood, casting a warm, mellow glow in all types of lighting.  Teak cap strips are evocative of the romance of transatlantic cruises on the famous grand ships of the past.   KKY has access to the finest wood craftspeople; their work is absolutely impeccable.  Take a look......
This picture was taken in full sunlight so you can see the wood's fine grain and the luster enhanced by the sun.
The next picture was taken in the shadow of the pilothouse to show off the sheen of perfectly varnished wood....
Needless to say, maintaining this glow requires lots (and lots) of good old fashioned "elbow grease".  We go nowhere until the wood is wiped and buffed with the countless chamois we keep aboard.  The captain has a very critical eye - need I say more?

Don't know if you remember reading in a previous post, but last season a sailboat in dire need of attention was docked next to us.  His brightwork looked as if the boat had crossed every ocean in the world under the most severe conditions.  When he saw me wiping our bright work for the second consecutive hour, he moaned that it was his misfortune to be docked next to us.  If he only knew!  I guess that's why we didn't see much of him last season.  Luckily for him, we've been given a different slip to accommodate our bigger boat.  It's my guess that whoever our new dock mates are, they will be gnashing their teeth when they see the captain in action.  They'll think he was born with a chamois cloth in one hand and a chamois mop in the other hand - and that's before all the other gadgets come out!  God, he loves that mop.  He even made a lanyard to attach it to the ladder - for immediate access!  I often considered hiding the stupid mop and pretending it went overboard, but I hate to see a grown man cry!

While I was carried away describing the commissioning process, I neglected to tell you about the award Serenity won in late January at the Fort Lauderdale TrawlerFest.  During the show as attendees tour the boats, they are asked to vote on the boat they think is "Best in Show".  You got it - Serenity was voted best in show, even though she had been stateside for only two weeks!  She was one of about 50 other trawlers and blew away the competition.  When Laura called to tell me the news, we were both in tears.  To think a boat could win this coveted award strictly on her lines, beautifully finished interior space and mechanical attributes, speaks volumes for this company and their unerring ability to build fantastic boats.   These are the wonderful KKY folks who accepted a Tiffany crystal bowl and beautiful wood covered log on Serenity's behalf.

It's very exciting to be the owners of a show stopping boat, right?

In the next post, I'm going to show you some pictures of the interior as I think the ladies have seen enough of the exterior, beautiful as it is.  Even though the interior is not yet decorated, some photos show the boat staged for the Fort Lauderdale and Miami boat shows so you'll have an idea of how she will look.  Later in the season, I'll give you peeks as we do our own decorating.

Think of us from Wednesday through Saturday this week as we feast our eyes on Serenity.  The KKY folks have been beyond wonderful sending us pictures of everything as it was either being done or completed, but there is no substitute for the real thing.  The advance forecast in Stuart is calling for temps in the low 80s during the day, low 60s at night.  We'll try to deal with it.  This is where we'll be enjoying some fine champagne Wednesday afternoon as we christen Serenity and welcome her into our family.
Talk to you next week!

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck to you. Following your stories as always. We're excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there from Greece!
    ...please accept my late vote too.
    Of course we like reading stories about things we love, so please keep on writing.
    Happy cruising in this magnificent KKYacht!

    ReplyDelete